In our previous article, “Window & Door Maintenance: More than Just Aesthetics,” we delved into the overlooked aspects of window and door care. Beyond just sparkling glass, the article highlighted the hidden challenges homeowners face, especially in regions like Yorkshire, Humberside, and Greater Manchester. Most maintenance contracts prioritize glass cleaning, but true care lies deeper.
Regular (A)djustment Required
Window mechanisms, often neglected, demand vigilant attention. Dirt accumulates in window rebates and on these mechanisms, impairing functionality. Over time, wear and tear can lead to misalignments or even breakages. Regular monitoring and adjustments, as emphasized in the article, become essential. Changing weather conditions, material reactions, and repeated use can disrupt these mechanisms. Ensuring their proper alignment not only promotes functionality but extends lifespan.
A job for a Window Specialist
Incorrect adjustment of windows may result not only in overtightening of screws, but also in damage to hardware components. To highlight the complexity of window adjustments here are some factors to consider with different window types.
(A) djusting windows with Espagnolette locking mechanisms
To ensure that your window espagnolettes function correctly, it is important that the following maintenance procedure is carried out at least once a year.
- All fittings must be regularly inspected to ensure that they are firmly fixed. Where necessary fixing screws should be tightened by a suitably qualified person
- All handles and locking mechanisms must be lubricated. Depending on whether the espagnolette is Offset, Inline or Shootbolt the lubrication must be done differently with both Grease with acid free lubricant (e. g. Petroleum Jelly) and a few drops of light machine oil in all guide slots.
- Handles – Lightly lubricate (twice a year) with a light machine oil between the handle and backplate.
- DO NOT LUBRICATE THE FRICTION HINGES.
- Ammonia-based and abrasive cleaning fluids should not be used on any hardware, only use cleaners that have no effect on the corrosion protection properties of the fittings.
- Adjusting the espagnolettes – The locking cams on the espagnolettes are adjustable to allow the contact pressure between the sash and the frame to be altered. Standard and Mushroom cams will be adjusted differently using either a small spanner or allen key. If the sash is clashing with the frame or striker plates,
the window must be adjusted by a suitably qualified person.
(A) djusting Tilt & Turn Windows
Tilt and Turn windows can be adjusted in at least 8 places. This includes;
- Stay and Top Hinge
- Locking Point
- Tilt sash hinge (only for tilt sash)
- Corner hinge – rebate corner hinge – bottom hinge
- Door snapper
- Sash lift
- Run-up – tilt striker
- Larger, heavier windows may have extra components and stays in the mechanism
As an adjustment in one area affects pressure and tightness in other areas it is really worth only allowing an expert to adjust your Tilt & Turn windows. The adjustments required may be to the pressure or position of the component.
A common problem with Tilt & Turn windows is when they become stuck between both positions. In this case the window is often not broken, it just needs to be re-set.
- Apply pressure to the top hinge corner so it tilts back into place.
- Push and hold the mishandling lever (this can be found on the edge of the sash just below the handle).
- Turn the handle downwards to the vertical position then turn it again into the upwards vertical position. Release the mis-handling lever.
- The sash should now be in the turn position, and the handle in the vertical position. Shut the window and bring the handle down.
- If this doesn’t work it’s time to call the experts!
Diving into the SAFEKEEP Model
Survey (S): Detailed Checks with Tailored Reporting
Our engineers conduct meticulous checks on your windows and doors. Firstly for correct operation. Then for compliance with health and safety regulations. Thirdly, signs of water and air ingress. We also consider any additional factors requested by our clients to furnish landlords with a detailed report. Not only does this report spotlight areas that need fixing. It also serves as a tangible audit trail, showcasing safety precautions undertaken. Finally, the report proposes potential enhancements for the windows.
Adjust (A): Preventing Small Issues from Becoming Major Ones
The emphasis here is on proactive care. Windows require continual small adjustments to windows and regular lubrication. This prevents minor issues from spiraling into bigger, costlier problems. Guarding against more significant repairs and, worst case, complete window replacements.
Fix (F): Swift and Uncomplicated Solutions
Our approach to fixing is straightforward and effective. Once a problem is identified, our team ensures it’s repaired efficiently. We prioritise the safety and functionality of the windows and doors to uphold the comfort and security of our residents.
Enhance (E): Advancing Beyond the Basic Functions
Enhancements go beyond mere fixes. It could involve elevating ventilation to combat issues like mould or damp. Or escalating the energy efficiency of windows. Or upgrading security features. In every enhancement action, the objective is to boost the existing functionality. Enhancements may also prolong the lifespan of your installations.
KEEP: Keep your Windows and Residents SAFE
By engaging in long-term contracts, landlords can spread repair costs over an extended period. They gain preferential access to Mila’s responsive repair services. The ‘KEEP’ phase protects your window and door investment. It is the scheduled programme of future safety audits. This provides a steadfast availability of a repairs service when it’s needed. It’s how you KEEP your resident’s windows operational over the long-term with all safety measures functional. It’s how you prevent small problems becoming large expensive ones.
Partner with Mila and SAFEKEEP Your Residents
When you partner with Mila, you don’t just get a service provider; you get a team that truly cares about your property as much as you do. We ensure all your window and door care needs are managed effectively under one comprehensive, expertly executed model – SAFEKEEP.
Learn more about how SAFEKEEP can benefit your properties. Contact Mila today. Let’s work together to SAFEKEEP your property. Ensuring optimal functionality, longevity, and resident satisfaction in your buildings.
Subscribe for regular Window & Door Maintenance Best Practice
If you would like more information on these services, please sign up for our monthly update email. This email will also give you a summary of blog posts from our Website where we share our knowledge of strategies, methods and techniques for maintaining windows in residential and commercial properties and extending the life of windows and reducing ongoing building repair costs.
The changes to Data Protection legislation require us to have clear consent to provide you with this relevant marketing information.
Please can you use the form below to confirm your contact details and tick the box to opt in to receive our monthly updates.