As a property manager, safeguarding your residents is a key responsibility, and a major aspect of this is ensuring robust window security. This comprehensive guide delves into various strategies to enhance window security, from upgrading locks and glass to implementing restrictors and regular maintenance. At Mila, we employ the SAFEKEEP model to assess and enhance your property’s security. After conducting a detailed survey, we can propose tailored solutions to bolster window security, thus ensuring the safety and satisfaction of your residents.
Understanding Window Security Needs
Enhancing window security is not just a matter of safety; it’s also a crucial factor in the marketability and appeal of your properties. Tenants are increasingly aware of security issues and often prioritize them when choosing a rental property.
- Attracting Tenants: Properties with upgraded security features, particularly robust window security, are more attractive to potential tenants. This is because enhanced security provides a sense of safety and comfort, which is a top priority for most renters.
- Market Advantage: In a competitive rental market, properties with superior security measures, including advanced window locks and reinforced glass, can stand out. This can lead to quicker lettings and potentially higher rental yields.
- Tenant Retention: Tenants who feel secure are more likely to have a positive living experience, leading to longer tenancies and reduced turnover rates. This is particularly important in areas where security might be a concern.
- Insurance Benefits: Improved window security can also lead to lower insurance premiums, as the risk of break-ins and associated damages is reduced. This is an added financial incentive for property managers to invest in security enhancements.
In short, investing in window security is not only a proactive measure to protect your residents but also a strategic decision to enhance the desirability and profitability of your properties.
Assessing and Enhancing Lock Security
- Multi-Point Locking Systems: These systems lock at multiple points along the window frame, providing a higher level of security than traditional single-point locks. They are particularly effective in preventing forced entry, as the window is secured at several points.
- Reinforced Key-Operated Locks: Key-operated locks add an extra layer of security. These locks are not just about the lock itself but also the strength of the key mechanism, making them harder to pick or break.
- Smart Lock Technologies: Incorporating smart locks into your security strategy allows for enhanced control. These locks can be operated remotely, providing real-time security status and alerts for unauthorized access attempts.
Strengthening Window Glass
- Laminated Glass: Laminated glass is especially recommended for ground floor windows and windows adjacent to doors, as stipulated by the ‘Secured by Design’ standard. This is because these windows are more accessible and thus more vulnerable to break-ins. Laminated glass consists of two glass sheets with a protective interlayer, typically made of polyvinyl butyral (PVB), which holds the glass together if shattered. This feature makes it difficult for an intruder to gain entry even if the glass is broken. The added strength and resilience of laminated glass make it an ideal choice for enhancing security in these vulnerable areas.
- Polycarbonate and Plexiglass Options: These materials are strong and lightweight alternatives to traditional glass, offering high impact resistance and being particularly suitable for high-security areas.
Enhancing security through Window Restrictors
- Titan Folding Window Restrictor by Jackloc: This restrictor is a noteworthy example of a robust and reliable window security solution. The Titan Folding Window Restrictor is designed to withstand a significant amount of force, making it a highly secure option for preventing windows from being fully opened. It’s particularly suitable for high-risk areas where window falls or forced entry are a concern. The restrictor can be folded away when not in use, providing flexibility without compromising security.
- Concerns with Copycat Cable Restrictors: It’s important to be wary of inferior cable restrictors that may look similar but do not meet the same standards in terms of force resistance and cutting resistance as superior Jackloc products. Inferior restrictors may give a false sense of security, as they can be more easily tampered with or broken, potentially compromising the safety of the residents. Where identified we will recommend they are replaced.
- Use of Tamper-Proof Screws: It’s crucial that window restrictors, like the Titan Folding Window Restrictor, are installed using tamper-proof screws. These screws enhance the overall security of the restrictor by making it more difficult for intruders to remove or tamper with them. The use of tamper-proof screws is a small but critical detail that can significantly enhance the effectiveness of window restrictors in preventing unauthorized access or falls.
The Importance of Regular Maintenance and Inspection
Regular maintenance ensures that security features remain effective. We cover the key aspects of maintenance, such as inspecting locking mechanisms and the integrity of window frames and glass.
By subscribing to the Mila SAFEKEEP programme you can ensure the long-term security of your windows and doors with annual checks and access to a responsive repairs service for any window issues that you have.
The SAFEKEEP Model in Detail
- Survey (S): Our engineers conduct comprehensive checks, assessing operation, safety compliance, and durability of windows and doors.
- Adjust (A): Proactive care, including minor adjustments and lubrication, is emphasized to prevent larger issues.
- Fix (F): Efficient repair strategies are outlined, focusing on maintaining safety and functionality.
- Enhance (E): We explore enhancements like improved ventilation, energy efficiency, and upgraded security features.
- KEEP: Long-term partnerships ensure continuous service and regular safety audits, safeguarding your investment in windows and doors.
Partner with Mila and SAFEKEEP Your Residents Partnering with Mila means more than just finding a service provider; it’s about collaborating with a team that values your property as much as you do. The SAFEKEEP model is our comprehensive approach to managing your window and door needs, ensuring optimal functionality, longevity, and resident satisfaction.
Learn more about how SAFEKEEP can benefit your properties. Contact Mila today, and let’s work together to SAFEKEEP your property.